2013年5月5日日曜日
MAST TUNING
Thank you for reading my blog. The wind has been strong lately. Even this morning, when I got to the harbor the wind was howling. Hidaka-san from Aburatsubo Boat Service came all the way to the harbor for mast tuning. Hidaka-san did major maintenance work on the Aeolus last September. Hiki-san has known Hidaka-san since the Earth Marathon and he has the utmost respect for him and has requested for him to do the final mast tuning before we head out to sea. Contrary to my concerns about doing this in such strong winds, as soon as Hidaka-san got to the Aeolus, he climbed up the mast and started measuring. Hiki-san and Hidaka-san talked about how to improve performance so Shinbo-san and I can cross the Pacific as comfortably as possible and they decided to tilt the mast slightly to the back. The work started including the almighty maintenance man, Takahara-san from Kaientai. They removed the wedges and silicone that holds the mast on the deck and loosened the forestay (the wire that support the mast from the front) and added tension on the backstay (the wire that supports the mast from behind) and after they tipped the mast towards the back, they drove the wedges back in on the deck and filled it with silicone. I was amazed at the professionalism of their detailed work, their care and their efficiency. Hidaka-san, thank you for coming all this way and for your fabulous work. The wind got stronger in the evening. I can still hear the howling. I'm worried how this will effect tomorrow's practice with Shinbo-san.
Originally posted by Hiro in Japanese on 5/1/2013
Translated by SWIS Project
登録:
コメントの投稿 (Atom)


0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿