Staring tomorrow night we will go on our 2nd overnight cruise.
I pray that this time we will not be hit by another rare "Spring Storm" again but we are going out there for practice so a little bad weather would be good to learn from.
The last time we were out there in the rough waters in Osaka Bay, I realized that if we ever fell into the Pacific in the dead of the night we would be done for good.
I'm not too concerned because I know that as long as we are ready with the jacklines (a flat rope that's strung from a ships bow to stern), safety lines and harnesses, we won't be tossed overboard.
When I told my family this when I told them about this project when it first came up last year and last Christmas, my wife and daughter gave me the item shown in the picture above. I put the red pen besides it so you can tell how big it is. It is a strange looking item with a thing leather string attached to it. Can you guess what this is?
Late last year, when my wife and and daughter when shopping at the mall, they found this in a cart that was full of items for Christmas. They found many handmade accessories there and the item you see in the picture was labeled "The Captain's Whistle". It's a whistle that was handmade by someone at a small boat equipment store in Kobe and when you blow on it it gives off a very loud, almost shrieking sound.
They gave it to me and said "Daddy, if you fall into the water, use this whistle. I know Hiro-san hear it and will be able to find you."
Such a sweet gesture, it almost made me cry.
Don't worry. I will never let myself fall into the water. That is a promise I will make with all of you.
I was reading the comments from all of you and although I know that all you sailors out there know this, we are getting a lot of support from non-sailors as well so I felt I should clarify something. The basic rules of what to do and what not to do when you go overboard and hit the water. Never try to remove your clothing. Not even your shoes. The most important action you need to focus on when you hit the water is to breathe. Never take your clothes off to keep your body temperature from dropping. Even in the summer, once you are in the water your body temperature will start to drop. In the water, your clothes will be vital for you to maintain your body temperature.
There's a story of someone who was swept away by the tsunami caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake on a snowy day in March who was wearing a down jacket and denims which saved his life. The down jacket kept this person afloat like a life jacket. In most cases, trying to swim will only wear you out so do not try to swim and save your energy. If and when you fall into the water the best thing to do is to breathe, keep your clothes on, do not swim and wait to be rescued. Especially in salt water, the human body is surprisingly buoyant so as long as you don't start struggling, you will float enough to continue breathing. But obviously, not falling in is the best way to stay safe. LOL
Originally posted by Jiro Shinbo in Japanese on 5/10/2013
Translated by SWIS Project
Translated by SWIS Project
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿