There were many cultural differences I experienced when I initially moved to San Diego. One of them was an experience at a barber. Back then, I found a sign for a barber near my house so I walked in to get my hair cut. I was really surprised when the barber pulled out a electrical hair clipper as soon as I was seated and just started cutting away. He didn't ask how I wanted to have my hair done or if it wasn't too tight around my neck when he put the cape on. I was really surprised! In about 10 minutes I heard "That's it. Thank you."...my cue to leave. I remember I just sat there feeling a little confused because I was used to the hour-long detailed service in Japan. When he told me that it was $10, it all made sense. For someone who was used to paying around $35, it was a bargain and I understood why it only took 10 minutes. In San Diego there are many hair salons that cater to the affluent of San Diego or the Japanese customers which offer extensive services for a higher price. Terra Hair Design located in the affluent part of San Diego known as La Jolla is owned by a Japanese hairstylist. Terra Hair Design is a sponsor for SWIS (See What I Sea) and I have had my hair cut there before. Here, haircut+tip is around $100 which may seem a bit pricey but you will experience quality service like nowhere else.
I looked for a place to get a haircut near Nishikujyo Station. If I could see, I would probably notice several barbers and hair salons in the area when I'm walking around but I only have a mental map of the places I have gotten directions to before. So, there were no barbers on my mental map. I heard that there is an iPhone and iPad app that's great for the blind but I'm not that IT savvy so I always use Google Search. I got a list of 5 places near Nishikujyo Station. I called one that was nearest the station to get directions and then started walking relying on my mental map. As soon as I reached the general location, I asked someone to tell me where it is. It was right in front of me. I got a haircut and a shave and feel refreshed!
Originally posted by Hiro in Japanese on 4/26/2013
Translated by SWIS Project
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿